Tuesday 9 August 2016

Bluegrass, Greengrass and The Blues.

Blues, Bluegrass and Greengrass

In July, I was very tempted not to have an August Open Mic Night because it would be a lot of trouble to set up the PA and lights. Especially when there was a strong possibility that I might be the only performer; it's the start of the peak holiday season after all. Right up until the last minute I was determined to say that the next one would be 'The Birthday Bash' in September, but in the end I said that it would be on, but unplugged and un-organised. I wasn't even sure if I'd be going myself, but I liked the idea of havng a chat and a pint. A few people let me know that they wouldn't be attending and so at ten to eight as I arrived I was very pleased to meet Keith and Kate in the car park.

By the time I was getting ready to start, my only official act of the evening, the room was almost full and what was expected to be a low key night and early finish turned into one of the most delightful nights of music that The George has seen in the couple of years since I started attending. The talent was professional in standard and there was a wide diversity of genre and material. There were three banjos in attendance, though I don't think they were ever played at the same time.


Don't be fooled by the emptiness at the back of the room, in front and to my left there were lots of other people. (Just in case you thought I was on my own after all) including a few audience. The harmonica only came out for one song.
Mike and John were out on their own to begin with, but later in the evening they aquired some friends, and when John sang 'Take Me Home Country Road', he wasn't just accompanied by John, with his new 12 string, but backed by percussion, double bass, violin, a couple of guitars and a host of beautiful harmonising voices. Jokingly I suggested that he might never sound so good again, but it wasn't that funny.



AKA Greengrass, or possibly Green Grass came mob handed. It required that many to carry in Keith's double bass; a beast of a bass that could be felt as well as heard. We'd seen them as Crow's Feet at The Rugby Tap on Thursday, a delightfully rowdy open music night that is well woth attending.









Peter and Shirley gave us some proper Bluegrass with harmonies and pickin' and the best joke of the night. “How do you light up a banjo player's eyes? Shine a torch in his ears.” Thank you Shirley.

Leanne, Dusty and Allan, who found us on Google while looking for something to do on a Friday night. two mandolins and a harmonica playing guitarist and some beautiful vocals and harmonies.

Martin and Andy were in blues mode, and Martin had more harmonicas on the table than I've ever seen before. The one that he wanted was in his pocket all along.


Steve Edgar. Ended the evenings individual performances with style.His unexpected Elkie Brooks was very pleasant to hear, even if it was a bit of a vocal stretch for Steve.

There was a magic to the evening and I hope that it isn't too long before we experience the likes again

We finished on a high with Greengrass leading in a shared performance of Wagon Wheel and then they continued to play Roll in my baby's arms as people made their way out with Kate getting her hands on John's pride and joy.


The next Open Music Night at The George, Kilsby, is Friday 2nd September when the Open Music Collective will be joining George to celebrate his 54th birthday. The PA will be set up and the lights on.

No comments:

Post a Comment