Sunday 23 September 2018

Bish! Bosh! Birthday Bash!

This September saw the best Birthday Bash at The George, Kilsby, so far. If you walked through the pub, 90 percent of the clientele were packed into the back room, to the extent that chairs found their way out into the passageway.

The full list of performers meant that there was something for everyone; as did a very delicious venison curry or vegetable chilli and some interesting black pudding canapes supplied by Prasath and the kitchen.

We opened the music closer to eight than usual because of the turnout. I started things off as per usual. Given it was a birthday bash, and the number of years has increased to 56 it seemed appropriate to start with Bob Dylan's 'Forever Young'. The second song was one of my better efforts, 'Under The Patio'.

In the second half I was privileged to be accompanied by Hedley on the violin and Ross on cajon. They really enhanced my 'Mouldy Brown Bread and Cheese' and 'Dance With Me Tonight'.

Allan, who arrived very early in anticipation of a shortage of seats, began with a song I don't think he's sung before at The George, about something "Sweet". His second was his well known Irish song, 'The Spinning Wheel' from the poem of John Francis Waller of Limerick.

Next up was Brian, who I just managed to catch in the camera before he decided to leave the stage area and perform unplugged. He began with 'The Louse House at Kilkenny 'and followed that with the well known 'Dance Around The Spinning Wheel'. There was a little time for a few more performances in the second half so we got one of my favourite of Brian's songs, 'Spancil Hill'.

Nigel was fourth up. His first song, with a title that sounded like 'East Coast Boy with The City Blues' and a melancholic 'Autumn Fall'. His second half contribution was a couple of songs that have really grown on me. 'I'm Not Sure Anymore' and 'There's Got To Be A Reason'.

Roland was on his own again tonight, so we had couple his less performed songs, including Blind Boy fuller's Piccolo Rag.

Pete provided a very interesting version of Steppenwolfe's 'Born to be Wild, on his banjo. It worked really well. Then Marian sang Mary Hopkins' Those were the days my friend. Then, Pete took his life in his hands playing 'There ain't no Pleasing You' . Sadly, Dave Hodges died on September 22nd.


Sandi and Tugrul henceforth referred to as Elastica started off with 'Home Grown Tomatoes' and then John Travis Rolling Home. It clearly wasn't the right song for Sandi, or she started in the wrong key, We've all had one of those moments. There are two options; abandon it part way through or plough on. Sandi, being a Super Trouper kept going, and the round of applause reflected her determination, perseverance and bloody mindedness. The question is, will we hear it again? I hope so.  

On of the delights of the evening was Paddy's birthday tribute. I have joined a distinguished list of subjects for Paddy's lyrical wizardry, though I hear that Donald Trump isn't too happy with his. "It's a bad song, a very bad song. A fake news bad song that's trying to make me look bad." Whereas I was very, very, pleased with mine. Thank you Paddy! 

Lew Bear made the mistake of asking me if there was anything I particularly wanted him to sing tonight. Having spent the previous few days listening to his CD, which by the way is fantastic, and I was particularly struck by his song 'Death' about, well, death. One line struck me as being particularly appropriate. Spare me for another year. His second was It won't get better any time soon, but all that really matters is me and you.  

Ray brought a distinct level of culture wit him this evening; combining Kipling and David Gates. 'If' and then the delightful 'Hole in The Elephant's Bottom'.

Mike and John were on good form with John Denver's 'Sunshine On My Shoulder' and Bob Dylan's 'Don't Think Twice'.  A few days earlier, TCB asked if we could add a new song to the MDF repertoire . 'Sloop John B.' by The Beach Boys. We got together on Thursday for a practice, well everyone except Brian. I think we got away with it. Much more familiar was Kirsty McColl's There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis'..


The night was ended with a bit of a jam as we wrestled our way through a couple of blues numbers with Ross. Whatever my 57th year brings, the end of the 56th one was spectacular. Thank you all who came along, whether to play or be part of the audience. 





No comments:

Post a Comment